Firstly, thank you for your website. It is extremely helpful. As a New Yorker I feel someone should create one for tourists here.
My question: I’m arriving in Paris CDG Saturday, going to and staying over for a concert in Versailles on Monday for one night, then headed back to Paris and leaving Friday. I usually use the Roissy bus to/from the airport.
Should I just pay the full Roissy bus fare the day I arrive and use carnets in Paris until Monday, and then buy a Navigo Decouverte on Monday for the rest of the trip? It appears it will cover the RER C to Versailles. Will it also cover the Roissy bus back to CDG on Friday?
You've done your research! The tickets you've suggested are about the best combination of Paris train tickets & passes for a Saturday arrival at CDG, visiting Versailles and staying a week in Paris, and returning to CDG on Friday. Everything will be covered.
Some notes on that ticket combination:
- If you buy a Navigo Easy card (2€) and load the Roissybus ticket on it, you'll get a 1.70€ discount on the Roissybus ticket
- a carnet of Paris Metro tickets is discounted by 2€ if put on Navigo Easy (which makes the Navigo Easy in effect, free)
- You can buy the Navigo week pass, Navigo Easy, the carnet of Paris Metro tickets + Roissybus ticket all at the same time upon arrival at CDG on Saturday. No need to wait till Monday to buy the Navigo.
- Your Friday return to CDG can be on either Roissybus or RER B train (Navigo covers both). Whichever you prefer.
- If you're making this trip soon, check for Paris train strike action which may impact the RER B train / Roissybus.
Thanks for the kind words about the site. I appreciate it and glad it has helped. (BTW, love NYC.)