How to buy a monthly Navigo Pass for Paris public transportation is done online through Navigo.fr.
Here are the steps to purchase a Paris Navigo monthly or annual pass good for Metro, Bus, RER, Transilien trains throughout Ile-de-France (region of suburbs surrounding and including Paris).
- Go to Navigo.fr and click on Recharger / Commander
- Create an account – click on Créer mon Compte
- Nom is last name, Prenom is first name. Use a password that is at least 8 characters long, containing two numbers, and both uppercase and lowercase letters
- Fill in the CAPTCHA challenge
- Do not check the checkbox unless you want to receive email advertisements/special offers from Navigo/RATP
- Click on Créer mon Compte bottom right
- Check your email mailbox for a confirmation link that you need to click and follow
- Clicking on this email confirmation link brings you back to Navigo.fr and you’ll be signed in with your new account. Click on Aller à l’accueil (return to welcome page).
- Click on Commander mon passe Navigo
- Upload a headshot photo, without hat/headdress/sunglasses, taken against a neutral background. Must be JPG format, max file size 100KB, at least 300 pixels wide by 360 pixels tall. Click on Choisissez une fichier (choose a file) to search for a picture on your computer to upload. After transferring the file adjust the crop so that your face is centered on the preview window on the right hand side. Click Valider to continue to the next step.
- Next, provide delivery address (your residential home address) of the Navigo card as well as your birth date. Click on Valider to continue.
- Finally, confirm all your information is correct and click on Valider un demande de passe to send the request for a new card to be sent to you.
At this point the Navigo administration will check your application, your supplied photo and create you a physical Navigo pass card and send it to you by mail. If you live in an apartment without apartment numbers it’s important to have your name (at least your Last name) on your apartment’s mailbox. Otherwise the postman will likely not deliver your mail to you hence you’ll never receive your Navigo pass.
Next step is to recharge your Navigo pass with a subscription, either monthly or yearly. Yearly Navigo passes (Navigo Annuel) are discounted with one free month per year. Payment for the annual pass is debited automatically from your bank account monthly. Quite convenient for avoiding lineups at pass recharge stations at the beginning of the month.
I’ll show you which zones are best to buy for your Navigo pass and how to take advantage of zone-free weekends and zone top-ups in the next article.
- Ask a question or browse the Paris by Train forums for an answer. (Or visit the forum archive).